Roasted eggplant hummus

I experiment with different flavors of hummus, since I usually eat it for lunch with vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and the occasional pita chips or veggie straws.  In the past I have made hummus with avocado and roasted red peppers.  Other times I used a can of artichokes hearts.  The only two that need cooking before combining all the ingredients are the eggplant and the red peppers.  I roast the red peppers the way I roast the eggplant.   You don't even have to peel the skin once the peppers are roasted.  It will  blend in with the rest of the ingredients in the food processor.  As for the avocado, I only use one.  The same with the canned artichoke hearts.  I make sure I drain them before I put them in the food processor.  Enjoy! 

For the roasted eggplant

1 lbs eggplant
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Wash the eggplant.  Cut it in cubes and toss it with olive oil and salt and pepper.  Spread it in a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.  Roast at 400°F oven for half hour.  Remove from the oven. 

For the hummus

1 can-15 oz each chickpeas
1 clove garlic 
3 tbsp tahini (sesame paste)
¼  cup reserved juice from the chickpeas 
½ cup lemon juice (about 1 and ½ lemons) depending on taste
¼ cup olive oil

In a food processor add the chick peas, garlic, tahini and roasted eggplant.  Blend till smooth adding the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste and the juice from the chick peas.  Blend well till smooth.  Refrigerate till ready to use. 

Nutrition Facts (24 servings = 1oz/serving)
Servings 24.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 90
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 16 mg
Potassium 185 mg
Total Carbohydrate 12 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 4 g