Fall Roasted Vegetables

With the abundance of fall vegetables I decided to try something different this time. I never really knew what to do with acorn squash, other than cut it half, seed it and microwave it for 10 minutes (as you noticed in my Fall Squash Vegetable Soup post). I never came across a sweet potato squash, other than sweet potatoes. Or parsnips. I never liked parsnips when I was young. As with butternut squash or spaghetti squash, I never knew it existed. Not till I began experimenting, for quite some time now, with all the fall vegetables that are abundant this time of the year in the Northern part of the US. I usually roast sweet potatoes in the oven, so I thought that this time I will roast the fall vegetables. And for a change, I will throw in the mix the parsnips too. I had my real testers taste this recipe and came through with flying colors. My family is very picky when it comes to food. They will be more than happy to tell me if they don’t like something. And this is really what I’m looking for. I don’t want any compliments just truthful statements if they would make it themselves and if they will eat it if I make it again. And I have made this dish more than twice so far. So rest assured, it is tasty. Enjoy!

Makes 8 servings of approximately 7 oz each

4 cups butternut squash
4 cups sweet potato squash
3 cups parsnips
¼ cup olive oil
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp coarse salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp chili powder

Preheat oven to 425° F. Peel, seed and wash the squashes. Set aside. Peel and wash the parsnips. Chop the squashes and the parsnips into 1-2” pieces and place them in a bowl. Pour over the olive oil and toss to coat well. Add the parsley, chopped garlic, coarse salt, ground pepper, paprika and chili powder. Toss till all the vegetables are well coated with the seasoning. Spread them out in a cookie sheet and place them in the oven on the 2nd rack from the top, and roast for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.  

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size
1 serving (186.0 g)
Amount Per Serving 
Calories 146
Calories from Fat 59
Total Fat 6.6g
Saturated Fat 0.9g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 249mg
Total Carbohydrates 22.5g
Dietary Fiber 4.8g
Sugars 6.0g
Protein 2.1g

 
The vegetables right out of the oven
 
 
Serve with roasted pork tenderloin or a turkey dinner just in time for Thanksgiving.  Enjoy!!!
 
If you try the recipe and like it, please comment below. If you like the blog please feel free to follow it.  Thank you.